Thursday, September 22, 2011

Summer Goals Revisted

It's the first day of fall and that means it is time to take a quick look back at the summer and revisit summer goals! I thought it would be fun to also reflect and see what I learned through these experiences since the idea was to get me going with some things.

Ok, here it goes:
1. Nightly/Daily walks - Maddy and I have come close to doing daily walks here in Ithaca. However, the nightly walks have not happened. We have, however, visited Taughannock, Treman, and Buttermilk parks here already, walked around Beebe lake, and walked around the campus. Not too bad! I have picked flowers once at the Little Tree Orchards here while my parents visited. But, did not end up pressing any of them.

What I learned: I love taking walks! And I love taking them in while the leaves are turning especially.Since arriving in August, the leaves have quickly begun to turn and the air has become much cooler rapidly. The crisp, musky air envelops my senses and the sight of vibrant colors beginning to peak through the green veil..sigh...I have missed them!

2. Letter 1x per week - I have not written a letter 1x per week. I did however write several cards in the last few days of being in SF, and have written a smattering of cards here and there since I arrived (thank yous, I'm thinking about you, etc) so I am going to count this. I also like this idea while here in Ithaca and far away from those we love, so I'm going to spill it over into my fall goals.

What I learned: My handwriting needs some serious work...and I don't write letters nearly enough. I actually really enjoy it!

3. Picnic in Golden Gate park - I did this TWICE!! Woohoo! First time was with our friends Ryan and Leah where we had delicious Arguello Market sandwiches (oh how I miss you turkey and cranberry sandwich!) and talked for a while while basking in the gorgeous sun at the Conservatory of Flowers. So lovely - and we miss you Yokes! Second was with my dear friend Erin (who was visiting at the time), the wonderful Lockes, and the amazing Mercados. It was my last time seeing the Mercados (sigh, we miss you guys so much!) But, it was also a gorgeous day and there I again enjoyed a delicious sandwich from Arguello Market. After that, Erin and I headed back to the Lockes where we hung out for a while...I think we were super tired because the Lockes, Jeanne, and I had gone out for the late showing of Harry Potter the night before. SO good!

What I learned: The best riddle I've heard in a while..."You walk into a room and see a man shot in the head and bicycles all around. What happened?"

4.Plant herbs - This, I am not planning to do because I purchased and planted some indoor plants here.

Two things I learned:
a. DO NOT purchase soil from Walmart. Or at least not the one here. Their bags of soil are filled with these gnats that eat your plants and lay 10,000 eggs a day (oh joy!) in the soil and these feast on the pants' roots. These have killed my ivy plant already and forced me to get some new potting soil from Lowes (during which we had our East Coast earthquake).

b. DO purchase Natria - a spray that helps kill pests such as aphids (which I am now battling on one of my plants). Anyway, all that said, I have learned a great deal about dealing with these pests on a budget and my planting budget is shot for now. But, aside from the ivy, the plants are doing nicely - hopefully this will continue!

5. Learn 12 new dinners - Done and done - with one EXTRA for good measure. I really actually can't believe I finished this because I had completed ZERO once we arrived in Ithaca. Here are the 13 new dinners in the Ludwinski household.


- Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Chicken stuffed with Ricotta and Spinach with vodka sauce and pasta
- Pan-cooked Chicken with Spinach
-Basil Steak and Rosemary Chicken Kabobs on the grill
-Chicken and Asparagus Pasta with Butternut Squash sauce made from scratch
-Eggplant Parmesan
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Homemade Potato Soup
- Beef and Veggie stir-fry with Japanese rice noodles and homemade sauce
- Tilapia with Dill sauce and Asparagus
- Chili made with left overs
-Shells stuffed with Ricotta, Moz, Beef, and Spinach


Side note: Dan suggested I post the recipes for my readers and when I said not many people read this he said, "I read it!", to which I replied, "Ok, I'll post the recipes and then you can make our dinners" haha. Score!

I will post the recipes later.

Things I learned: I actually enjoy the challenge of spending as little as possible on good, healthy food! Stay tuned for a possible recipe series..The Cheapest Food Challenge - healthy recipes from Nicole and Ashley as they try to save more money than the other.

6. Homemade gifts - I only made one and this was a page of "advice" for my dear friends Lindsay and Brian who got married in New Hampshire a few weeks ago. The page went into a book that was filled with love and well wishes from the friends who attended their wonderful celebration. Their wedding was SPECTACULAR - just gorgeous and a wonderful day. I do have to say though, we awoke the next day to find that Maddy had removed her diaper and smeared poop all over her pack n play. OH. MY. GOODNESS. It smelled SO badly and took us 1.5 hours (no joke) to clean up thoroughly. Did I mention we were guests at the parents of the bride's house? Oh yes, indeed. I did tell Lindsay the whole story because I knew she'd get a laugh out of it - hopefully no remnants remained to tell the tale to others....

What I learned (through the reason for the homemade gift): Make sure Maddy wears something so she can't get to her diaper in the morning!

7. No jeans/pants week - Done and documented!

What I learned: I'm SO glad I live in this century where I can wear pants and jeans!!

8. Read 5 books - Working on it still. So far, I have read:
- "Bossypants" - Tina Fey
- Ruth

This will have to spill into my fall goals.

What I learned: I'm a slow reader in general, but when I am not enthralled by a story line, I dread reading. Therefore, it is easier just to watch TV or waste time on other things instead of reading. I need a designated time to read each day or I will just put it off indefinitely - I think nap time is a good place to start.

9. 1 sewing project - I have it picked out and ready to go! Still going to have to roll that over into fall.

What I learned: Sewing is not something I can just do...I like using patterns and being precise, so while it an be a hobby, it is not something that I can just pick up at any time and enjoy. I can get through a project and then need a break for a long while before returning to another.

10. No TV/Hulu 2x per week - not even close on this one. This is going to roll over into fall!

What I learned: I need to find some good books!

11. Design and get Tattoo - Done and documented! Woohoo! (and I still love it!)

What I learned: I really love having tattoos and hearing about tattoos that tell a story..and since having a kid, this one did not hurt nearly as much. I'm not saying that I will come home with sleeves of tattoos now. But, I certainly enjoy commemorating such incredible events in life and being able to tell others about them.

So there you have it. A relatively productive and busy summer come to a close. With that I have to say, Welcome back into my life, Fall. I'm so glad to see you again.


No comments:

Post a Comment